Please note: These are contracted positions of undetermined duration, depending on when the property work is completed.
McMenamins Hotels, Pubs & Breweries, Inc., is seeking experienced Bothell, Washington-area artists to create paintings for a new property renovation project in Bothell. The project is composed of the former W. A. Anderson Junior High School and associated buildings, which will be transformed into a hotel, restaurants, bars, meeting spaces, spa and soaking pool. We are specifically looking forcontract painters at this time.
Original artwork has long been an important component and attraction at McMenamins hotels and restaurants. Each individual property features art derived and inspired by its site-specific historical events and characters and those of its surrounding community. There are also frequent artistic nods made to McMenamins' history, music and other sources that have influenced the company's evolution.
Qualified contract artists will possess the following:
- Ability to create paintings that illustrate specific stories or ideas, but also the ability to make art that combines various influences and stories -- we call it "historical surrealism." History and reference materials are provided.
- Proficiency in figurative work.
- Capability to work on provided MDO board using acrylic paint.
- Ability to work at a large scale. Sorry, no miniatures! The typical scale is
38" x 48", sometimes larger, sometimes much larger.
- Willingness to share copyright with McMenamins.
- Availability to start immediately. Construction is beginning now and will be moving quickly.
We are also looking for artists willing to do site work, primarily decorative painting and borders. If you are interested in doing both decorative work and creating paintings, please indicate that when you apply.
You are strongly encouraged to peruse this website to see samples of existing artwork and get a sense of the company as a whole.
To be considered for this project, please submit the following to email@example.com. (Only painters will be considered for this project):
- A link to a digital portfolio (website, Facebook page, Flickr account, or a similar format) that demonstrates your proficiency in rendering likenesses and figurative work used within the context of a composition; do not just show us figure drawings.
- Available start date.
- An indication of your interest in also doing decorative work onsite in Bothell, Washington.
Please include your contact information. A résumé or CV is appreciated, but not required.